Monday, February 22, 2016

What Style Means to Me

Maybe I shouldn't really say this, since I blog about clothes and style, but the truth is I never bothered much about clothes and fashion. I used to just take anything from my wardrobe without giving much thought to it, if it looked good or if things matched. I never spent much time shopping and I certainly did not spend my allowance on clothes or accessories. In fact, spending money on clothes always felt very difficult to me. I guess I though it was superficial. Maybe that's the reason why, even when I started to worry a bit more about how I looked, I hang on to some pieces I didn't really like because I didn't want to spend money on new clothes.

Worst, when I did start becoming somewhat interested in clothes I just ended up really frustrated. I remember having teenage tantrums because I hated everything in my wardrobe and had nothing to wear.

It's funny how some things change us quite suddenly. Even though I had already noticed the correlation between what I wore and how I felt, it was only ofter a particularly hard breakup that I decided to really focus on myself. That's when I decided my exterior image deserved to mirror how I felt inside - stronger, more confidant and young. The truth is, if I dressed well and took care of myself, I felt even better. Like I could take on the world.

That doesn't mean I started shopping as crazy and my wardrobe doubled in size. Not at all. I don't relate style to consumerism in any way. Actually I just threw out everything I didn't like and now I'm left with hardly anything. What I did do, was to take interest in my body. I want to understand what I like and what suits me and, with that information, shop more confidently and consciously. And that way, step by step, create a wardrobe that feels "me" and where I love every single piece (no exception!).

For me, having style doesn't mean you have to own much. You just need to have enough of things that make you feel good and in piece with your wardrobe. It's having exactly what you need to make you feel like you can conquer the world!


Se calhar é estranho eu dizer isto, visto que tenho um blog sobre moda e estilo, mas a verdade é que nunca liguei muito a roupa. Até muito tarde tirava qualquer coisa do armário e não dava muita importância a se combinava ou ficava bem. Não passava os meus tempos livres a ver lojas nem gastava a minha mesada em roupa. Aliás, sempre foi o dinheiro que mais me custou gastar. Achava que era uma coisa fútil ou superficial. Deve ter sido por isso que, mesmo quando me comecei a preocupar mais com a minha imagem, fui aguentando peças de que não gostava porque não queria gastar dinheiro.

Pior, quando me comecei a interessar por roupa e aquilo que vestia, acabava frustradíssima. Lembro-me de ter birras de adolescente porque odiava tudo o que tinha no armário e dizia que não tinha nada para vestir.

É engraçado como há algumas coisas que nos marcam e nos mudam para sempre. Apesar de já ter vindo a comprovar o efeito que a roupa tinha em mim, foi só depois de uma separação particularmente difícil, que decidi focar-me em mim própria. E foi aí que decidi que merecia que a minha imagem exterior fosse coerente com a forma como me sentia por dentro - mais forte, auto-confiante e jovem. A verdade é que, se me vestisse bem e tratasse de mim, ainda me sentia melhor. Sentia que conseguia enfrentar o mundo!

Isso não quer dizer que, de repente, comecei a ir às compras todas as semanas e que o armário duplicou de tamanho. Eu não relaciono estilo directamente com consumismo. Na verdade, o que aconteceu é que deitei fora tudo aquilo que não gostava e agora tenho praticamente nada para vestir. Assim começo do zero. Agora Interesso-me em conhecer o meu corpo, perceber o que gosto e o que me favorece e, com essa informação, conseguir fazer compras mais informadas e assim criar um guarda-roupa com o qual me identifico e onde gosto de todas as peças que lá estão, sem excepção.

Para mim estilo não é ter muito. É ter o suficiente para nos fazer sentir bem e em paz com o nosso guarda-roupa. É ter exactamente aquilo que precisamos para nos dar a convicção de que conseguimos enfrentar o mundo.

No comments:

Post a Comment